Date: 09/18/11 @ 1pm until whenever
Topic: Soldering 101 with Geordy
Geordy will have a short slide deck with some basics and SOME tools but most folks will need to bring the following if they have it available:
* Soldering iron or preferably a soldering station like the Hakko 936 http://amzn.to/jWNMdT or the Aoyue clone http://amzn.to/l6tt0V but if you aren’t 100% committed yet, we’ll have some of these around to use.
* sponge or other tip cleaner (if your soldering station/iron doesn’t have one)
* flux pen http://amzn.to/mhP0lm
* superwick desoldering braid http://amzn.to/mjjijd
* Some kit to work on http://www.vellemanusa.com/us/enu/product/list/?id=523008 (please keep it reasonable if this is your first kit. $10-$20 price range or Level 1)
* Good quality rosin core solder such as Kester 44 or something from MG Chemicals. (DO NOT BUY LEAD FREE, it sucks!) http://amzn.to/kTnBAJ
* small wire clipper/cutters such as these http://amzn.to/mf9LqD
Most all of this stuff is available locally at Vetco in Bellevue on Northrup Way or at Frys. I would NOT suggest buying a soldering station at Vetco. Frys might have decent prices on the Hakko if they still carry it. I have a limited amount of tools and supplies I can share with the class but please don’t count on it.
I’m going to cover all things related to through-hole soldering in this class including desoldering and safety issues. Bringing a kit to solder is totally optional but it’s a great way to learn since you’ll have me right there to help you navigate any problems that you may run into. I’ll start the class at 1pm and we’ll go as long as we need to. We won’t be covering surface mount techniques this time but if this class goes well, I’m open to holding another one where we build up a kit with surface mount parts. Please speak up if you are interested in this class so I can prepare accordingly.
Where: Black Lodge Research – 17725 NE 65th St A-155 Redmond, WA 98052 — Do not park in the spaces directly in front of businesses, those are reserved specifically for those businesses 24/7/365. You will find ample parking at the end of each row of buildings. View http://yfrog.com/fkdkaj to see the parking on a map.
DISCLAIMER: If you are under the age of 18, please have a legal guardian present. If you are under 21, please do not consume any alcohol on the property of the Black Lodge Research. We are doing this because of insurance liabilities. If you have any questions, please ask us.